Chakras are centers of energy, located on the midline of the body. There are seven of them, and they govern our psychological properties. The chakras located on the lower part of our body are our instinctual side, the highest ones our mental side.
The chakras can have various levels of activity. When they’re “open,” they’re considered operative in a normal fashion. An “imbalance” means that some chakras are over-active, and some are under-active. Just like anything else in life, the keyword is “balance”, not too much, and not too little. Since the chakras receive and transmit energy (which translates into psychic, emotional and physical energy) too much or too little may effect the way we think, act and feel.
1 – Root Chakra
The Root chakra is about being physically there and feeling at home in situations. If it is open, you feel grounded, stable and secure. You don’t unnecessarily distrust people. You feel present in the here and now and connected to your physical body. You feel you have sufficient territory.
If you tend to be fearful or nervous, your Root chakra is probably under-active. You’d easily feel unwelcome.
If this chakra is over-active, you may be very materialistic and greedy. You’re probably obsessed with being secure and resist change.
2 – Sacral Chakra
The Sacral chakra is about feeling and sexuality. When it is open, your feelings flow freely, and are expressed without you being over-emotional. You are open to intimacy and you can be passionate and lively. You have no problems dealing with your sexuality.
If you tend to be stiff and unemotional or have a “poker face,” the Sacral chakra is under-active. You’re not very open to people.
If this chakra is over-active, you tend to be emotional all the time. You’ll feel emotionally attached to people and you can be very sexual.
3 – Navel (Solar Plexus) Chakra
The Navel chakra is about asserting yourself in a group. When it is open, you feel in control and you have sufficient self esteem.
When the Navel chakra is under-active, you tend to be passive and indecisive. You’re probably timid and don’t get what you want.
If this chakra is over-active, you are domineering and probably even aggressive.
4 – Heart Chakra
The Heart chakra is about love, kindness and affection. When it is open, you are compassionate and friendly, and you work at harmonious relationships.
When your Heart chakra is under-active, you are cold and distant.
If this chakra is over-active, you are suffocating people with your love and your love probably has quite selfish reasons.
5 – Throat Chakra
The Throat chakra is about self-expression and talking. When it is open, you have no problems expressing yourself, and you might be doing so as an artist.
When this chakra is under-active, you tend not to speak much, and you probably are introverted and shy. Not speaking the truth may block this chakra.
If this chakra is over-active, you tend to speak too much, usually to domineer and keep people at a distance. You’re a bad listener if this is the case.
6 – Third Eye Chakra
The Third Eye chakra is about insight and visualization. When it is open, you have a good intuition. You may tend to fantasize.
If it is under-active, you’re not very good at thinking for yourself, and you may tend to rely on authorities. You may be rigid in your thinking, relying on beliefs too much. You might even get confused easily.
If this chakra is over-active, you may live in a world of fantasy too much. In excessive cases hallucinations are possible.
7 – Crown Chakra
The Crown chakra is about wisdom and being one with the world. When this chakra is open, you are unprejudiced and quite aware of the world and yourself.
If it is under-active, you’re not very aware of spirituality. You’re probably quite rigid in your thinking.
If this chakra is over-active, you are probably intellectualizing things too much. You may be addicted to spirituality and are probably ignoring your bodily needs.
How to balance your chakras?
The Basics of Beginner Chakra Balancing
While it may take a little bit of time to become familiar with the various steps to balance the chakras, all of these steps can be learned with the right daily, diligent effort. Here are several different effective balancing approaches to learn:
- Clearing up the mind of negative energy and thoughts is a must if you wish to open up your chakras and bring them into harmony and balance with one another. Negative thought patterns drain energy and cause a tremendous amount of disharmony among the chakras. Through embodying more positive thoughts, you can bring your chakras into balance much easier.
- Performing daily meditations on your chakras is recommended. Some suggest performing the meditations at night prior to bedtime as this will allow the chakras to restore to their harmonious balance while you sleep. Others suggest performing meditation first thing in the morning to start your day right. Regardless of when you opt to meditate, among the most important balancing chakras for beginners concepts to grasp would be the notion you must meditate daily to experience any results.
- Selecting an environment that is somewhat isolated for your balancing meditation is a must. This way, there will be no distractions which will undermine your ability to concentrate on bringing your chakras into the proper harmony. It is strongly suggested that soothing, chakra meditation music is played in the room since this will enhance the success potential of the balancing process immensely.
- Hand positioning is helpful when trying to balance the chakras through meditation session. The two-handed approach is considered one of the more helpful methods. The way this process works entails putting one hand on one chakra and your other hand on a different chakra. Dubbed the pairing of chakras, this method allows you to connect two chakras together in a manner that helps enhance the overall balancing of every chakra.
- Each chakra has its own color associated with it. If there is a chakra you feel is out of balance then you should visualize its color as a means of restoring it to its natural harmony. You also have the option of investing one day of the week for a specific color so that each and every chakra is effectively balanced through color visualization.
- Visualization can expand beyond just pure colors. You can visualize on an image such as a flower the same color as the individual chakra you are concentrating on. You could visualize this flower opening as a way of representing the opening of the closed chakra which is out of harmony with the others.
- Deep breathing exercises are a helpful means of opening up the chakras and restoring them to their natural, harmonic balance. Taking a slow, deep inhaled breath for three seconds followed by a slow three second exhalation would be among the simplest ways of employing proper breathing to help restore harmony to the chakras.
- Reiki practice is an excellent means of providing balance to the chakras. Granted, you will have to invest a bit of time learning of basics of cultivating Reiki energy but doing so will be worth it considering the help doing so can provide to the chakras.
- Crystals possess some of the highest vibrational frequencies on earth, and simply being around crystals and setting your intention to attune to their vibration can have a profound effect on your health and wellbeing. Plus, each crystal has its own unique energetic properties, and can therefore be used strategically to enhance sluggishness or subdue overactivity in the chakras.
- Massage, reflection, meditation and energy work using essential oils is thought to help restore specific balance to each of the chakras. Essential oils have that inherent harmony and order in their energy pattern that can heal the chakras.
Get in tune with our aromatherapy essential potions infused with crystals to help you attain balance and harmony. Click on the image for more information:
GROUNDING Infused with RED JASPER
PASSION Infused with CARNELIAN
NAVEL (SOLAR PLEXUS) CHAKRA
COURAGE Infused with RED AVENTURINE
HEART Infused with GREEN AVENTURINE
CREATIVITY Infused with SODALITE
THIRD EYE CHAKRA
INTUITION Infused with AMETHYST
ENLIGHTENMENT Infused with HOWLITE
As with any other learned skill, the art of chakra balancing for beginners can take some time to master. Like any subtle energy method of healing, the user’s intention is critical. A pure healing intention is the most important key to making the healing work. The amount of time it takes to master the process should not be of any concern. The key issue is you do develop the requisite ability to properly balance the seven chakra so you can enjoy all the benefits they present. Doing so ensures a much healthier mind and body.
To find out what the state of your chakras is, do the chakra test.