Serve with cucumber rounds, red bell pepper strips, and sticks of jicama.
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 1-inch-long piece peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups garbanzo beans (chickpeas; from two 15-ounce cans), drained, 3 tablespoons liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce*
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground star anise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 whole star anise (optional)
Using on/off turns, mince garlic and ginger in processor. Add beans, reserved bean liquid, cashew butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, and ground star anise. Process mixture to coarse puree. Add cilantro and green onion; process to combine. Transfer to bowl; garnish with whole star anise, if desired.
*Available in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets and at Asian markets.